If you are JOB searching – Never tell yourself: “I’ll never get a job. My situation is hopeless.” I would like to let every single person know that it is possible to find a good job. Although the job market is tough, take small steps every day, update your resume, apply for jobs online, learn new skills, network and be positive. Keep going. It’s just a matter of time and the right door will open for you.
In this COVID-19 pandemic so many individuals have lost their jobs, others are fearful of losing their jobs, and those who are job searching feel discouraged. Sometimes we can be our greatest enemies. “But the worst enemy you can meet will always be yourself.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche. That voice we hear in our head recites some false narratives so often and so frequently that we really start believing them after awhile. The thing is, they only create a false reality that keeps you trapped. Fear is a powerful tool but it can also cripple you from taking positive actions or seeing the truth.
The Top Five lies that could be ruining your career and your life:
- My Job is my life – Your job is not your life. It is a means to live your life. Never let a job define your self-worth or happiness. Your job is necessary but not sufficient for your life. We are more than just our careers. You should be able to separate who you are from what you do. I have seen so many people give everything to their jobs. Their identity is wrapped up in their jobs. They even give up their hobbies. Then after the job is gone, whether it’s due to retirement or being let go, they become empty.
- My Job title defines me – Don’t let money or your job title define you. Most people define success around money or fame. They get their self-worth from these things. This gives money way too much power over your life. We must realize these things could be lost in an instant. Maybe it’s time for you to re-define success.
- I don’t have a purpose/ I can’t find my passion – Everyone has a purpose on this earth. Your purpose is made up of who you are and what you’re here to accomplish. There is some area of life where you are meant to make a positive impact and complete that assignment. Take time to reflect. There is something you can do better than most people. What do you love to do? I found my passion in being a keynote speaker. It could be the simple things you love doing and you are good at. Even the slightest contribution in any form to make this world a better place to live can be seen as fulfilling you purpose.
- It’s too late for me to change direction – It’s never late to change direction. Once you are alive and there is breath in your body. You can start working on a plan and take small steps to where you need to be. Anna Mary Robertson Moses, better known as Grandma Moses, began her prolific painting career at 78. Maybe you’ve always wanted to start your own business or switch careers. Now couldn’t be a better time for you to start working on this.
- I will be happy when I achieve this… – Happiness is in the present moment. Many people say, “I’ll be happy when…” Happiness seems to be somewhere in the distant future where you will find that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. The truth is that the rat race is never ending. It sucks you in and has its jaws fixed so tightly on you that you forget to enjoy the journey and those around you. Life is full of moving targets. The bar is constantly being set higher and higher. Choose to be happy now in spite of your circumstances.
“The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched – they must be felt with the heart.” ― Helen Keller
There are three aspects to our lives – Personal, Spiritual and Professional. A fine balance needs to be maintained between the three elements to lead a satisfied and contented life. Sadly, most often it is the professional that occupies the driving seat. Life is too short. It’s time to stop enduring life and start living it.
If you are job searching – Never tell yourself, “I’ll never get a job. My situation is hopeless. It looks like the end of the road for me. Nothing good ever happens to me. My life is over.” Don’t give up. There is always hope. I would like to let every single person know that it is possible to find a good job. Although the job market is tough, take small steps everyday. Send out resumes, take courses online, learn new skills and make sure to network. Maybe it’s even time to start your own business. Take control of your thoughts – Be POSITIVE. Yes, there are opportunities all around even in the midst of crisis.
It’s time to change your mindset. Consider this for a moment. Most of you think I will be successful when I get a job, a promotion, have a new car, house…etc. Have you considered that you are already successful? Maybe your bank account looks depressing and you don’t have much. But no matter what your situation, if you can approach it with a balanced attitude – facing your struggles head on and helping others along the way – you are already successful.
PUBLISHED BY- Brigette Hyacinth (Author: The Future of Leadership: Rise of Automation, Robotics and Artificial Intelligence 🔹 Keynote Speaker 🔹Trinidad and Tobago)